Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rachird_Noxin
Captain
Captain

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-07-08

PostSubject: ramblings from a resident prick   Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 am

I dunno, I'm up late and I just feel like rambling about a cod4 related question to you lot while I'm bored with the competition in pipeline at this time.

As I've said before in another post, when it comes to computers and gaming I can become a sort've obsessive compulsive. My muse is finding the most efficient and positive-gain performance out of whatever tools are at my disposal.

At the moment the tools I've tinkered with are peripherals(mice, keyboards), configs(tweaking for performance or quality), different opperating systems(ubuntu, vista, XP), controls(it's not even a part of the config war with me it's its own beast), and I guess lastly hardware.(monitors CRT/LCD, video cards, sound cards)

Now that's probably too much to cover at this moment, because I have shit load of experience rigging these things all around ancient and contemporary machines.
I was mostly thinking about how you guys felt about your control setup, all encompassing with movement, offense, and defense.

Do you play with the default controls? Or do you use something far more perverse from what the default gives?

an example of what I would consider heavily modded controls would be dko5.cfg. (it's hardwired into your cod4 game, it's a dev's FPS config located in the .iwd's)

CoD4 has a large array of things to be bound to what I would consider a small space depending on how well you can trace keys on the fly. (I'm terrible at it)

I stopped playing cod because of the leans, it drove me insane that I could not find a suitable place for them. But ironically enough Q and E turned out to work the best.

Just now I was sitting and just idling on my desktop, when I got a idea.
For me, I can't trace keys very easily, so I'm constantly trying to find the most efficient map for my needs. A big problem I have is knifing, normally it is MOUSE4 and my thumb just does not rest there in time when taking a hot corner.

So my solution to that? To flip the knife with the second most accessible button, MOUSE2 and make +speed_throw(iron sights) MOUSE4.

I need to have my MOST VITAL cmds mapped onto the mouse, otherwise they are no longer a trump card, but a problem.

MOUSE1 = +attack
MOUSE2 = +melee
MOUSE3 = +frag
MWHEELDOWN = unbound
MWHEELUP = weapnext
MOUSE4 = +speed_throw
MOUSE5 = toggleprone

Anyways I'm just rambling, but I think I'll post my main controls while I'm here.

Code:
// generated by Call of Duty, do not modify
unbindall
bind TAB "+scores"
bind SPACE "+gostand"
bind 1 "say" "Huh? What happened, I wasn't looking???"  //dick bind
bind 5 "+actionslot 3"
bind 6 "+actionslot 3"
bind A "+moveleft"
bind B "+smoke"
bind C "mp_QuickMessage"
bind D "+moveright"
bind E "+leanright"
bind F "+activate"
bind G "+actionslot 4"
bind Q "+leanleft"
bind R "+reload"
bind S "+back"
bind T "+actionslot 1"
bind U "chatmodeteam"
bind V "+smoke"
bind W "+forward"
bind Y "chatmodepublic"
bind CTRL "togglecrouch"
bind SHIFT "+sprint"
bind F1 "vote yes"
bind F2 "vote no"
bind F12 "screenshotjpeg"
bind MOUSE1 "+attack"
bind MOUSE4 "+speed_throw"
bind MOUSE3 "+frag"
bind MOUSE2 "+melee"
bind MOUSE5 "toggleprone"
bind MWHEELUP "weapnext"

If you want you could post yours, I dunno, might be interesting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Un1Que
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:49 am

where did you get this cuz I've searched every f*cking map in the Activision CoD map and I can't even find my profile anymore...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachird_Noxin
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:22 pm

You mean your config?
If you use Vista it could be hidden if you have UAC enabled?
If you have XP it should be just in:
Code:
K:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players

Even with UAC in Vista a little icon should appear in the folder window that says "show user files" or something I can't remember.

(ps: if you like to play with configs and try new ones, try this site --> http://cfg4.ic.cz/index.php?dir= )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
|KzN|Element'
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:54 am

Should show in cod4 with or without vista..

God if anyone saw my controls they would lose it lol, literally my friends tell me im a cripple for using the other end of the keyboard. I've always found having crouch on wheel up and prone on wheel down to be the best. I keep my knife on nice big button ctrl lol, my leans are on mouse 3 and 4. Reload is delete, frag is / front slash, oh and jump is space i use my pinkie to get it.

Im more than positive that my controls are the worst, but i've always played like this, i dont plan on going back to the drawing board either. When i first started playing cod4, i couldnt reload, knife, crouch, prone, jump, throw frag, stun. My controls were always at the wrong end of the keyboard lol, lot of ya are prolly thinking then how the hell does he even kill with that setup, just lots of practice lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachird_Noxin
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:06 am

Familiarity is a powerful component as opposed to all the planning that one might put in, yeah. When I first started out, I used the arrow keys area but I soon realized it wasn't gonna work out in the long run so I went as traditional as I could.
That was a long time ago however.

My problem initially was failing to see the use of Q + E as the best lean solution for me.

For a long time I was convinced I needed this script I wrote:
Code:
 /bind x "weapnext; wait 5; weapnext"
but between just sprinting out of the longer than needed reload sequence I could become better with the MWHEELUP - just scrolling up twice. (still messes up, have to be fast sometimes)

Right now the prone(MOUSE5) and iron sights(MOUSE4) are fairly close together on the slightly smaller very precise buttons on the ikari. I can work it, but I think I should look for a better iron sights key to switch with.

With your controls though something I've noticed is a lot of the better players more often than not have a very close (ie on the mouse) or very big knife button. So you using control is probably a shared sentiment with more than a few.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
|KzN|Element'
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:32 am

Oh for sure lol, my biggest problems are prone jumping, but hey why not just get better aiming lol.

We all have faults, i just cover em up through careful pathing and firepoints. Or i just hit my big knife button and hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachird_Noxin
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:02 am

going prone is an Achilles heel still, it always seems to get lost in the shuffle, that or +smoke. My aiming is not a problem right now, I can pinpoint and trace fine, but what I can't always account for is missing shots that are dead on.
It happens mostly with assault rifles, the steadiest of aim when scoped in. I can run off 3-4 kills with one clip of my AK-47 but then empty a full clip on a single target only moving forward, and still lose.

It's troubling and I'm not sure how to go about correcting it, if it's the mouse losing latency with the cod4 program... orrr my configuration as far as DPI to screen res, or cl_maxpackets/rate/com_maxfps/snaps all handled internally.

Meh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Un1Que
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:38 am

uhmm I srsly can't find it... I run Vista but in what map should I look?? There isn't a "users" map

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ilikepie
Commander
Commander

Number of posts : 577
Clan :
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:36 am

click on the compatability file thingy and itll be there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
|KzN|Element'
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:06 am

um lol, i have vista on my new comp so i know what your going through. Its in the main file and if there is no player or profile there then, you must of just installed cod4 on vista. I did my thing the jackass way and it really screwed me up, i used my old harddrive and just sent the files to c drive from e. I had to reinstall because xfire wasnt finding it, which if anyone has anything on how to add games to xfire please let me know. So i had the windows xp set up, when i went to reinstall i had one hell of a time with it. I had to clean the reg, which still didnt work, i ended up having to open the disc just to get the thing to perform install shield. After it was installed tho, i looked through the new cod4 files, wooha way different, even when i created profiles they still didnt show up. Nor did the screenshots that are located in main, if anyone can clear this up as to whats happening here, i know vista hids alot of files on us but how do we get them to show?

I've used vista on my laptop, im not impressed with it, on my new comp its ok but still theres alot of things im just going "oh you son of a bitch, i swear to god im throwing you out the fucking window".

So im sending my info for my free copy of windows 7 and hopefully it will be better for modding games and transferring files.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachird_Noxin
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 pm

I meant that compatibility dealy, I just couldn't remember the name of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ramblings from a resident prick   

Back to top Go down

ramblings from a resident prick
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ghost Division :: Miscillaneous...-
Jump to: